Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

We spent (are spending) the Thanksgiving couple of days in the Milwaukee area. We are staying at my parents and the festivities were at Cathy's sister's house yesterday and today. Her dad and family friends are up from TX. The picture below is of Grandpa Schmeling and Owen.

I made both turkeys yesterday. Two standby favorites, nothing new this year. I don't know why, but I just went with two I've done before. One was a pancetta covered turkey (picture #2) and the other the famous orange-sage turkey (picture #1) on the grill. Both were very good but I think that I preferred the pancetta one done in the oven. I don't know if the difference was that the one on the grill was an organic turkey, but it wasn't as juicy as the other one - which is strange because the grill always produces the juciest one. We will see next year I guess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving. Both of your turkeys looked fabulous!

My organic turkey was on the dry side this time as well, but I've done an organic turkey in the past (same way as this time - brined) that turned out perfectly. I'm not sure what I did this time to make it dry. There was an article in Real Simple a few years ago explaining the differences between all the turkey choices and that was the first year we had organic. It lived up to the juicy and flavorful description the article claimed it would have.